Our lab conducts a wide variety of research related to basic mechanisms of early development in fish and gastropods; we are studying on gene functions involved in formation of the brain; we have recently generated biosensor transgenic zebrafish to monitor tissue specific effects of environmental disruption; we also have started some analyses on animal behaviours and the mechanisms behind these actions. Please take a look at our data gallery, which contains some highlights of the images generated by research within my lab. If you are interested in conducting research with us for your Postdoc, PhD, MSc or Summer projects, please feel free to contact me.
Address: College of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Exeter, Stocker Road, Exeter, EX4 4QD, United Kingdom
Tel: (+44) 1392 723473
University staff webpage: http://biosciences.exeter.ac.uk/staff/index.php?web_id=tetsu_kudoh
EDUCATION AND DEGREES:
1996 Ph.D. Laboratory of Oncogene Science, Osaka University, Japan
1991 M.S. Department of Bioscience, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
1989 B.S. Department of Natural Science, International Christian University, Japan
2012-Present Senior Lecturer in Developmental Biology, Biosciences, College of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Exeter, UK
2006-2012 Lecturer in Developmental Biology, Biosciences, University of Exeter, UK
2001-2006 Senior research fellow – Prof. Steve Wilson’s Lab, Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London, London, UK “Neural induction and patterning in zebrafish embryos.”
1996-2001 Research fellow – Dr. Igor Dawid’s lab. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, USA. “Large-scale in situ hybridization screening of zebrafish genes.”
1) Kudoh T, Ishidate T, Moriyama M, Toyoshima K, Akiyama T. G1 phase arrest induced by Wilms tumor protein WT1 is abrogated by cyclin/CDK complexes. PNAS. (1995) 92: 4517-4521
2) Dobashi Y, Kudoh T, Matsumine A, Toyoshima K, Akiyama T. Constitutive verexpression of CDK2 inhibits neuronal differentiation of rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cells. J. Biol. Chem. (1995) 270: 23031-23037
3) Yamagami T, Sugiyama H, Inoue K, Ogawa H, Tatekawa T, Hirata M, Kudoh T, Akiyama T, Murakami A, Maekawa T. Growth inhibition of human leukemic cells by WT1 (Wilms tumor gene) antisense oligodeoxynucleotides: implications for the involvement of WT1 in leukemogenesis. Blood (1996) 87: 2878-2884
4) Dobashi Y, Kudoh T, Toyoshima K, Akiyama T. Persistent activation of CDK4 during neuronal differentiation of rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cells. BBRC (1996) 221:351-355
5) Kudoh T, Ishidate T, Nakamura T, Toyoshima K, Akiyama T. Constitutive expression of the Wilms tumor suppressor gene WT1 in F9 embryonal carcinoma cells induces apoptotic cell death in response to retinoic acid. Oncogene (1996)13: 1431-1439
6) Dobashi Y, Kudoh T, Ishidate T, Shoji M, Toyoshima K, Akiyama T. The Wilms tumor protein is persistently associated with the nuclear matrix throughout the cell cycle. Mol. Cell. Biochem. (1997) 171: 121-126
7) Murata Y, Kudoh T, Sugiyama H, Toyoshima K, Akiyama T. The Wilms tumor suppressor gene WT1 induces G1 arrest and apoptosis in myeloblastic leukemia M1 cells. FEBS Lett. (1997) 409: 41-45
8) Tsang M, Kim R, DeCaestecker MP , Kudoh T, Roberts AB, Dawid IB. Zebrafish nma is involved in TGFbeta family signaling. Genesis. (2000) 28 :47-57
9) Kudoh T, and Dawid IB. Role of iroquois3 homeobox gene in organizer formaition. PNAS. (2001) 98 :7852-7857
10) Kudoh T, Dawid IB. Zebrafish mab21l2 is specifically expressed in the presumptive eye and tectum from early somitogenesis onwards. Mech Dev. (2001)109 :95-98
11) Kudoh T*, Tsang M*, Hukriede NA, Chen X, Dedekian M, Clarke CJ, Kiang A, Schultz S, Epstein JA, Toyama R, Dawid IB. (* equal contribution) A gene expression screen in zebrafish embryogenesis. Genome Res. (2001) 11: 1979-1987
12) Tsang M, Friesel R, Kudoh T, Dawid IB. (2002) Identification of Sef, a novel modulator of FGF signalling. Nature Cell Biol. 4: 165-9.
13) Hong SK, Kim CH, Yoo KW, Kim HS, Kudoh T, Dawid IB, Huh TL. Isolation and expression of a novel neuron-specific onecut homeobox gene in zebrafish. Mech. Dev. (2002) 112: 199-202.
14) Itoh M, Kudoh T, Dedekian M, Kim CH, Chitnis AB. A role for iro1 and iro7 in the establishment of an anteroposterior compartment of the ectoderm adjacent to the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development (2002) 129: 2317-27.
15) Kudoh T, Wilson SW, and Dawid IB. Distinct roles for Fgf, Wnt and retinoic acid in posteriorizing the neural ectoderm Development (2002) 129: 4335-46.
16) Solomon KS*, Kudoh T*, Dawid IB, and Fritz A. (* equal contribution) Zebrafish foxi1 mediates otic placode formation and jaw development Development (2003) 130: 929-940
17) Kudoh T, Concha ML, Houart C, Dawid IB and Wilson SW. Combinatorial Fgf and Bmp signaling patterns the gastrula ectoderm into prospective neural and epidermal domains Development (2004) 131: 3081-92
18) Finch E, Cruz C, Sloman KA and Kudoh T. Heterochrony in the germ ring closure and tail bud formation in embryonic development of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) J. Exp. Zool. – B (2009) 314B: 187-195
19) Ghosh J, Wilson RW and Kudoh T. Normal development of the tomato clownfish (Amphiprion frenatus): Live imaging and in situ hybridisation analyses J.Fish Biol. (2009) 75: 2287–2298
20) Cruz C, Maegawa S. Weinberg E, Wilson S, Dawid IB and Kudoh T. Induction and patterning of trunk and tail neural ectoderm by a homeobox gene eve1 in the zebrafish embryo PNAS. (2010) 107: 3564-9.
21) So JH, Hong SK, Kim HT, Jung SH, Lee MS, Choi JH, Bae YK, Kudoh T, Kim JH, and Kim CH. Gicerin/Cd146 is involved in zebrafish cardiovascular development and tumor angiogenesis Genes Cells. (2010) 15:1099-110.
22) Mourabit S, Edenbrow M, Croft DP and Kudoh T. Embryonic development of the self-fertilising mangrove killifish Kryptolebias marmoratus Developmental Dynamics (2011) 240:1694-704.
23) Dente L, Gestri G, Tsang M, Kudoh T, Wilson SW, Dawid IB and Andreazzoli M. Cloning and developmental expression of zebrafish pdzrn3
Int. J. Dev. Biol. (2011) 55: 989-93.
24) Takesono A, Moger J, Farooq S, Cartwright E, Dawid IB, Wilson SW, and Kudoh T. Slc3a2 controls yolk syncytial layer (YSL) formation by regulating microtubule networks in the zebrarfish embryo PNAS. (2012) 109: 3371-3376.
25) Lee OH, Takesono A, Tada M, Tyler CR. and Kudoh T. Biosensor zebrafish provide new insights into potential health effects of environmental estrogens Environ. Health Perspect. (2012) 120: 990-996
26) Lee OH, Tyler CR. and Kudoh T. Development of a transient expression assay employing a Gal4ff-UAS system for detecting environmental oestrogens in zebrafish and medaka embryos BMC Biotech. (2012) 12:32
27) Mourabit S. and Kudoh T. Embryonic manipulation and imaging of Kryptolebias marmoratus Integr. Comp. Biol. [E-pub ahead of print]
28) Osborne OJ, Johnston BD, Moger J, Balousha M, Lead JR, Kudoh T*, and Tyler CR*. (* Co-correspondence) Effects of particle size and coating on nanoscale Ag and TiO2 exposure in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos Nanotoxicology [E-pub ahead of print]